Dental checkups give your child’s dentist the chance to make sure teeth and gums are healthy. A child’s mouth is always changing so problems can pop up fast. Texas Health Steps recommends dental checkups every 3 to 6 months for your children. Medicaid will pay for checkups and treatments – to keep your child’s teeth healthy and to fix any problems the dentist finds.
In each Texas Health Steps dental checkup your child’s dentist or member of the dental team will talk with you about your child’s dental health. You’ll get answers to your questions about how to best care for your child’s teeth and learn what changes will happen to your child’s teeth as he or she grows.
In each Texas Health Steps dental checkup the dentist will check:
- To make sure teeth are healthy and developing as they should.
- To see if the teeth are fitting together as they should.
- Soft tissue inside the mouth.
- Soft tissue around the neck and head.
- Temporomandibular joint (also known as TMJ).
- Care and health of the mouth and gums.
- Hard tissue inside the mouth.
- Risk of decay (cavities).
If your child is 2 years old or younger, a parent or guardian must stay with the child while the dentist does the checkup.
If you need help finding a dentist who can give your child a Texas Health Steps checkup, call your child’s Medicaid dental plan or call 1-877-847-8377 (1-877-THSteps). That’s a toll-free call.